Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Persuader - by Lee Child



My friend from work "inherited" a bunch of books from her mom. (I use quotes, cause I don't think her mom's actually passed away yet, she just gave her the books.) In the boxes was a bunch of books from Lee Child, featuring the main character Jack Reacher. She read this one first, and recommended it to me. (In reality, Persuader is probably the 6th book in the series, but you don't really have to read them in order. If there's ever a series of books, though, I like to read them in order, even if not necessary. I find it helps me get to know the characters better.)


Reacher is an ex-Army MP, who's sort of a loner/drifter. Each book in the series is a different adventure that he gets himself into. I can tell I'll like a thriller book like this when two things happen (a) I don't want to stop reading the book at night; and (b) the story the author came up with is unique. Both of these were present here. I started the book this past Sunday morning, and stayed up until 2am to finish it. (Lest you think I wasted the rest of my Sunday, I spent time at church, took a nap, and watched a few shows in the middle of all that as well. It was Father's Day, so I didn't feel to bad about just taking it easy the whole day!)


The story here is that Reacher gets "drafted" to get hired as a bodyguard/security officer for some bad guys, in order to help recover a DEA agent who tried the same thing and was caught. In the meantime, he's able to take care of someone from his past. (Any more than that would spoil the book.) An interesting, unique story, that had a few surprises that I didn't necessarily see coming before reading them in the book. I've read enough thrillers like this, that lots of times I can anticipate the plot twists and turns, and don't get as surprised as I might otherwise. This one wasn't that way. I don't think I'll do a specific post about each book. However, as I read more (after my friend is done with them), if they all are as good as this one was, I'll post something about them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave comments. I reserve the right to delete inappropriate comments - and I reserve the sole right to determine what's inappropriate. (That's the attorney/professor coming out in me!)