Sunday, March 4, 2012

The Great and Terrible - by Chris Stewart


Chris Stewart is a Mormon author, who's written a series of books known as "The Great and Terrible." There's six books in the series, which starts with this one, The Brothers. The Brothers is a prologue to the rest of the series, and takes place in heaven, before the main characters come to earth. In heaven, there are 3 brothers and a sister (Sam, Ammon, Luke and Elizabeth), who are preparing to come to Earth. At the same time, Lucifer/Satan is gaining more power over those still in heaven, preparing himself to come to earth to tempt others.
The remaining books in the series take place on Earth, after the 4 kids have been born, and are a "preview" of what the end of the world may be like, and how those kids were prepared and participated in the events. I'd read all books in the series before, and recently re-read all of them. (I just included the first book's picture above - didn't want to load all six.)
I like the series - there's plenty of political thriller in it to keep me involved. Lots of "international-ness" to it (especially involving the Middle East). Also, there's quite a few scenes where Satan's angels/followers are tempting those on Earth. It's interesting to think about the mechanics of how that would work - and what would work to tempt folks. Scary, even, how easy some of their work seems to be. It also makes you think about what the pre-mortal life was like, and how we made our choices there. You'll view your kids differently - how much they were prepared before this life to come down when they did, and face the issues they will face.
As I mentioned - I liked the series. They're not difficult to read - I think I got through all 6 books in less than 2 weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave comments. I reserve the right to delete inappropriate comments - and I reserve the sole right to determine what's inappropriate. (That's the attorney/professor coming out in me!)