Sunday, January 15, 2012

The Litigators, by John Grisham

I've read almost all of John Grisham's books (there may be one or two nonfiction ones that I haven't read). For the most part, his books are good-quality legal fiction. The courtroom scenes are pretty close to how things really go. Sometimes the stories get a litle "slow" or "contrived". I especially enjoyed his earlier books (The Firm, The Chamber (HATED the ending of this one - which is what made it such a good book!), A Time to Kill (easily his best book ever!)). Some of his later books haven't gotten me as excited.

This one, however, was pretty well done. A small firm gets involved in some large tort claims (think large pharmaceutical cases). They bring in a new young associate who's had it with the large firm life (the scenes showing his meltdown are pretty hilarious). Unlike some of his more recent books, in this one you do actually start caring about the characters, and what happens with them. I think he spent a little more time developing their past and history, so by the end you're genuinely interested in what's going to happen to them. I won't say the ending wasn't predictable - it was. But, you still wanted to know what was happening to the folks.

On a different John Grisham note - is anyone watching the new series The Firm? It's a continuation of the Grisham novel by that same name - continuing the story ten years later. We've been recording it, but I haven't been able to watch it yet.

1 comment:

  1. This is a really good book. I have read alot of John Grisham's books. Most of them I liked, but some that got into alot of legal talk didn't interest me. This has a story and is really funny at times. You feel like you are right there. It shows the true picture on the people in the book and they are true to life. I think of someone I know who is like that person and thats how I visualize them. I read it in a couple days and could not put it down. Even if you have never read John Grishams books, you gonna love this one.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave comments. I reserve the right to delete inappropriate comments - and I reserve the sole right to determine what's inappropriate. (That's the attorney/professor coming out in me!)